The rechargeable AA batteries are very popular in many digital devices, gears and toys. Their price are cheap and easy to purchase at everywhere. However, there are many kind of fake and low quality AA batteries out there too.
In this post, I will show you the features of the best rechargeable AA batteries and give some recommending of quality battery for your choice. Be a smart choice!
Read more: Which 18650 battery is your BEST choice?
Note: The information of AA rechargeable batteries in this article, which you completely applied for the AAA rechargeable batteries.
- 1 Why do you need to know the memory-effect of the rechargeable AA batteries?
- 2 Recommend: Top best rechargeable AA batteries for your choice
- 3 What is the best AA rechargeable battery?
- 4 Tips for keeping AA batteries in best condition
- 5 The difference of Ni-Cd rechargeable batteries and Ni-MH rechargeable batteries
- 6 Conclusion
Why do you need to know the memory-effect of the rechargeable AA batteries?
So, what the hell is the memory-effect-problem? I’ll have a detail article for it soon. And now you just know that the memory-effect-problem is bad and how to pass it. That is enough!
The rechargeable AA batteries has been effected by the memory-effect-problem. So, to keep these batteries are in good working condition, you have to discharge first and then recharging them. If you don’t do that first, your batteries will be reduced the lifespan and capacity rating quickly as well.
Most of the best AA batteries chargers has a discharging-button, you just press on it to discharge your batteries. Moreover, you probably invest a smart charger which built-in auto discharging and a series of cool other features.
Recommend: Top best rechargeable AA batteries for your choice
From my own experiences and I visited many battery-forums too. I find out that the most of people has given high positive comments for two battery brands are Panasonic and Sony.
Personally, I like the batteries from Panasonic most because they are less memory effect. It is not like other generic batteries, the batteries of Panasonic offers real capacity and very stable operating. That why there are many other battery brands re-wrap Panasonic’s batteries as a new brand.
Other brand that I love is Sony BCG34HH4KN Cycle Energy NiMH Power Charger with 2100mAh
Here are my highly recommend for the best AA/AAA rechargeable batteries in the market. These batteries are low-seft-discharge (retains energy up to 85% a year):
1/ The Best Rechargeable AA batteries:
- 2550 mAh – 500 time recharged: Panasonic BK-3HCCA4BA
- 2400 mAh – 1000 time recharged: Powerex MHRAAI4 Imedion
- 2300 mAh – 700 times recharged: Energizer Recharge Power Plus
- 2100 mAh – 1500 time recharged: Sony BCG34HH4KN
- 2700 mAh – 100 time recharged: Powerex MHRAA4 Powerex*
* Note: although the Powerex MHRAA4 Powerex is high-capacity but it is high-self-discharge characteristics too, up to 1% a day while the others retains up to 85% a year.
2/ The Best Rechargeable AAA batteries:
What is the best AA rechargeable battery?
When you searches for the best rechargeable aa batteries, you probably ask yourself “what is the best AA batteries? ”. Here are the four characteristics of the quality rechargeable AA batteries that you should know:
1. High capacity: The higher capacity, the longer operation. It depends on each brand, the best rechargeable battery has about 2000mAh or above for AA batteries and about 900mAh for AAA batteries. The Panasonic, LG, Samsung, Sanyo, Energizer and Sony are these famous brands with real capacity that you can trust.
2. Long cycle life: this is a number of rechargeable time. It comes from 500 to 2000. Personally, I thinks with only 500 rechargeable times is pretty good (if you need four charge time per a week, that you need 2.5 years to use full 500 rechargeable times). Here is my best choice for AA rechargeable battery with 2550mAh – 500 time rechargeable that is Panasonic BK-3HCCA4BA.
3. High-drain: that mean these type of batteries supply high current without damaging or cause increasing the batteries’ internal temperature. The high-drain batteries is used for digital devices such as flashlights, e-cigars, toys, digital cameras, etc.
4. Low seft-discharge: That mean you can store the battery for a long time without lost capacity so much. The Panasonic’s batteries are outstanding brand for low self-discharge. For example, the AA Panasonic BK-3HCCA4BA Eneloop Pro will maintain 85% of their charge up to 1 year (when not in use).
Tips for keeping AA batteries in best condition
Below are practical tips that helps to keep your batteries in long lasting lifespan and capacity rating as well.
- Do not store battery at high temperature and high humidity as well.
- If you don’t want to use the devices for a long period of time, please remove the battery out.
- You have to discharge your batteries before recharging them.
- Some the devices use many battery cells. You shouldn’t install these batteries with different capacity, brands, type, new & old in the same device.
The difference of Ni-Cd rechargeable batteries and Ni-MH rechargeable batteries
The Ni-Cd (Niken Cadimi) rechargeable batteries are old fashion today. Their capacity is low (around 1000mAh) but the rechargeable time is high (recharged up to 1000 cycles). The disadvantage of Ni-Cd batteries are memory effect that mean you have to discharge it before recharging. If not, it will reduce the capacity and cycle life.
The Ni-MH (Nickel Metal Hydride) rechargeable batteries are most popular now. The high capacity and long-lasting cycle life that makes Ni-MH batteries are the best choice for most devices. It is not like Ni-Cd battery, the Ni-MH has less memory effect and even some high-quality Ni-MH battery brands made Ni-MH batteries with no memory effect.
Note: Be careful when using Ni-Cd batteries because they contain the poison for human and environment than Ni-MH batteries.
The AA rechargeable batteries are cheap, but it does not mean you choose them without thinking. Choose the best rechargeable AA batteries are necessary for stable operating of your devices.
Most of these rechargeable AA batteries needs to discharge before recharge. So, you need to invest a good charger with built-in discharging function. The smart charger is a best choice for these batteries.